Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thy Will Be Done!

Friends, forewarning, this post is being written as I am abounding with excitement! What excitement is this you ask? Well, it is quite nerdy of me, but as you may know I leave to be whisked off to places I never imagined going in just twelve days. This is exciting yes, but what I have found even more exciting as I plan my stops in these various countries, even continents, is all of the biblical significance they carry.
I have been doing a bit of research and have found that Acts hints that Izmir/ Ephesus was a major port used by the apostles as well as the home to John once Jesus had died. This fact has created speculation that Mary's last days were also spent here as she was entrusted to John's care upon Jesus' death; lucky me, my tour stops at her believed humble abode which is a place of pilgrimage for many Christians and Muslims alike. On top of this, some scholars and historians believe that Ephesus may be where John was living while writing his gospel, well the ones that believe he, himself wrote his gospel. John is also considered to have written the book of Revelation while living in Ephesus. Another book that has clear significance in this region is the Letter to the Ephesians. A lesser known book was Paul's first letter to the Corinthians which is believed to have been written here sometime after his first visit to Corinth.
Furthermore is Istanbul which has very few modern day Christians as they are only beginning to have religious freedom, but Istanbul was still a big passing point being the city that spans both Asia and Europe. I am excited to experience a mecca for another religion though because in my humble opinion it can only be an enriching experience. Plus, it should be exciting to see what it is like for the 1000 missionaries living there as tent makers who are trying to spread the Christian faith- inspiring stuff! Oh, and I may get to take a tour with a Christian man (and foodie!) who has lived there for the last ten years.
The next stop is Athens! Athens is where many think Paul was when he wrote his letter to the Galatians. In addition, Athens is where Paul gave his famous speech at the Areopagus about Jesus' resurrection.
Finally we come to Rome. As a catholic for obvious reasons Rome is attractive...the Vatican, St. Peter's Basilica, and the Pope! Y'all I am SO EXCITED to spend a day at the Vatican!!! But this is not Rome's only biblical significance. First is the obvious section of the bible, Paul' s letter to the Romans, but tacked on, maybe quite as obvious, being the first pope and all, is 1 Peter. The not so obvious book that is suspected to have been written in Rome is the gospel of Mark. Also, fun fact: I just found out today that most of the time Babylon or its fall is mentioned in the New Testament it is actually Rome. At the time of the NT Babylon had very little significance and most of its references line up with what was actually taking place in Rome during the time period.
Anywho....
Now that I have all of this info what might I do with it you ask? Well in the coming two weeks I am hoping to spend most of my time reading all of the above books of the bible that have been mentioned. I feel this could be a bit ambitious, but at the same time I also feel like it is probably the most valid way in which I have, and ever will, procrastinate! So along with the Proverbs 31 study I mentioned a week or so ago (an update on that to come soon!) I am also going to set the goal to have these books read/ refreshed before I arrive in their respective cities!
Honestly, these are not the places I was expecting to see while on my year abroad, but I also have not been this excited to see new places in a long, long, long, long time! This is one of those moments when I truly understand how amazing not having expectations can be, but also how true it is that the Lord has plans for us that are preordained and completely foreign to our tiny little imaginations. His will is so much more powerful than my wants that it actually changes my desires to match His will; what a genius!

The things I am telling you about in this post and so many other things taking place in my life right now are definitely the embodiment of my favorite verse- the one that I desperately clung to when first understanding what a true relationship with Christ is, and every day since...

Psalm 139:16 "Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and I hope to get around to my Proverbs 31 update this weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment



Passionately Obsessed


 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved