Monday, October 21, 2013

The Bubble

Friends, I am so so sorry about the lack of posts on my part! I have been quite busy trying to catch up on reading and writing papers, unfortunately. Fortunately though, I finished my reading for the night fairly early and have some time to update everyone on my life her in "the bubble."
First off, I'll start with a few pictures of semi-recent life here.
First there was the music festival, Starfields.


This is my academic mom...we had a very, very interesting night.

And below is a picture of a group of Uni Hallers at Kate Kennedy Opening Ball.

Moving on, now that the novelty of a new home has faded away and many of the big events (above) that hit off the start of the martinmas semester are over, I am beginning to realize how true "the bubble" nickname is. While it is breathtakingly beautiful up here in the north (below are pictures from one of my running routes), St. Andrews itself does not have much to do.


You can walk around the small town, walk up and down East and West Sands, golf, if you are into that,  eat, and pay 12 GBP to see a movie. Other than that you are a bit out of luck. Although there is not much to do, week days aren't too bad as I can usually find small things to fill time. I have also been fortunate enough to have great academic parents who are wonderful cooks and have hosted family dinners for the last three weeks.
I think I am also finally realizing how little there is to do because I have started missing home a bit. This weekend was hard because my whole family, including my brother who is normally in Florida but is temporarily in Kentucky on a job search for a few months, went to Keeneland. Also, everyone has been posting pictures of pumpkin patches, apple orchards, pumpkin carving, yummy american fall foods, football tailgates and so on. All things that make fall my favorite season.
On the up side though, I did get a little taste of home this weekend. Well, it was more a taste of a friend's home. My friend Griffin was graced by the presence of her parents this weekend who were very welcoming to me and were so sweet! They offered me to go to dinner with them and I must say, it was probably the next best thing that could have happened to my very own parents taking me to dinner. Below is Griff and her lovely parents!

Now that the weekend is over though and I am approaching another busy week, I am keeping in mind the next few things that I have to look forward to. This week I should be receiving a care package from my parents. Next week, on Halloween, Uni Hall (my dorm) is transforming our dining hall into Hogwart's dinning hall with their Halloween feast and everything. They are even asking us to wear our traditional red gowns to get the full Harry Potter feel. That weekend is the infamous Raisin Sunday that has been tradition at St. Andrews for what seems like forever (I will post more about it in the coming weeks!) Then on the 7th of November Griff and I are heading to London for a very long weekend, Thursday-Tuesday to be exact. While in London we have big shopping and even bigger eating plans. I am also hoping to go see "Much Ado About Nothing" with James Earl Jones and Vanessa Redgrave. Other than that, and a certain other even that I will post about after it occurs, we have no agenda (you can see where our priorities lie... the food!)
In between London and Christmas break we also have Christmas Ball, which is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory themed; complete with edible decorations. We also have revision week which is the first week in December. Revision week is basically a week off in which we are supposed to study, but a couple of us are considering visiting Rome for the week since I have been told it is stunning at Christmas time.
These are currently the big details of my life, the rest aren't worth posting on the blog or are not proper blog material. So, I will continue to occupy myself with the exciting upcoming fun, and I will be sure to let you all know when something interesting happens!

0 comments:

Post a Comment



Passionately Obsessed


 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved