Monday, September 23, 2013

3,000 Miles Northeast

Hello Friends!
Sorry it has been a while since I last posted. Honestly, its because I haven't been sure what to write about. Im still not sure exactly where this is going, but I'll give it a shot anyway since Ive been in bed sick all day and have nothing else to do.
I have now set into the year here. I am beginning to get a daily routine going now that I have settled my class schedule that only consists of four hours of class per week. Being completely serious, this class schedule is somewhat hard to adapt to because there is a lot of reading to be done and its very easy to just try to push it off for another day...then another...and well, you get the picture. Other than my class schedule I have been trying to get involved in various things around campus, but nothing has really stuck yet. Some of you may know about the beginning of my Freshman year at UK, and it is feeling a little bit like that again, but hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?!
Anyway, we are also in that awkward stage that many people run into when they are somewhere new; you have acquaintances but not necessarily a group of friends that you feel comfortable texting to tag along with them for the night...the normal new kid stuff. In all honesty though, I knew this was coming and it is also the part about studying abroad that I dreaded. Im sure it will pass with time though, just as most things do.
With all of this being said, I spent the last week or so wondering why it is that I am in this remote location of this crazy world for a year. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it here, I think it is beautiful, and the people are wonderful, but I can't help but ask what it is I'm doing here. I am fairly certain I'm not here to advance myself in huge ways in my IR major because a) I don't really want to do anything with my major and b) some of the people in my classes make me feel a bit inadequate, but they are also the type that answer the professor's questions before they have even finished asking them. I am also not having too much luck getting involved in theatre here so far, for a number of reasons, one being why take an American who must use a british accent when there are 50 British people who also auditioned. So I guess we could say that Im still searching for my niche.
Some of you at this point might ask why I haven't tried to get involved in the Christian community here. I have looked into the Christian Union and while they seem like great people there is just something about it that feels weird to me, probably just that its different than what I am used to. I have found a church that I really enjoy though and it reminds me a lot of TCPC in Lexington.
So here is my theory (this may sound a bit cowardly and feel free to tell me as I would love some help on this.) My theory is that I am in this tiny town 3,000 miles from home so that I can learn the ins and outs of life, while maintaining a daily relationship with God. It sounds bizarre, I know, but from the time Freshman year that I fully understood what this relationship meant, up until a few short weeks ago, I had been surrounded with a community of solid Christians that I also have the privilege to call loving friends. Now I don't have daily, or even weekly contact with these friends, I don't have anyone guiding my along the right path, I just have myself and God up here. I feel that this year without those influences might be the proof that this relationship can stand the test of time, no matter where I am on this crazy planet.
I may just sound like a babbling idiot; who knows. Feel free to send any thoughts my way though! I'll post again soon when I have actual fun things to talk about!

0 comments:

Post a Comment



Passionately Obsessed


 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved