Sunday, May 20, 2012

Running: How to Turn Death into Life!

Hello friends! So, there are a lot of different things on my mind that I have considered posting about today, but since my last post was a bit long and kind of deep, I feel like I am going to go with something much lighter today! Ill just save the other ones for later. :)
Anywho, on this beautiful Sunday I would like to take some time to post about running. I can hear the groans now and feel like people may stop reading pretty soon. I am trying to bring light to this particular form of cardio exercise though! This post will be about how great running is not only for physical health reasons, but also mental ones!
So first off, yes we all know that running has various health benefits ranging from losing weight to giving us endorphins (a chemical released when doing exercise that improves mood.) I would like to focus on the positive things running does for our mood and even relationships with others. 
I know most people hate running and if you would have told me 5 years ago that I would be writing this post right now about how great and positive running is, I would have laughed at you. Over the last few years though I have grown to be a lover of running and everything it provides. 
First there is the personal aspect of running. As most people know, running can be painful and at times miserable, but first off, I am more than appreciative that God granted me two working legs to be able to partake in the act of running. Then there is the fact that while I run, to take my mind off of the pain, I have learned to do some of my deepest thinking. If utilized correctly, I have learned to treat my time running as an escape from the world in which I can retreat into my own head and really process what I think and feel about things. Running is a great opportunity to do this because I can do it alone, there are few distractions, and I don't have things like technology interrupting me. Also, being a Christian, or any of you out there with other beliefs could do this also, I have learned to use this time to pray and spend time with God! Going on a run is a great opportunity to do this because I am outside in the wonderful world God created for us, and I can enjoy all of the things He has blessed us with. To further show how great running is in taking advantage of my time with God, is running as a sport.
Running as a sport generally involves races. The following is something I never actually thought to do while I ran track in high school, but as I get older and try to challenge myself by running in 10k's and such, I have started doing it. This "it" that I am referring to is using my time running to really lean on Christ. It is probably something much more symbolic than practical; nonetheless, I have learned it is a great tool. While running in long races, or even when I am having a hard time getting through a run, I have started to pray like crazy that with God's help I can make it through without stopping. This isn't really to deepen my relationship with Christ, but is more my time of asking and depending on Him to help me strengthen my will power. Believe it or not, it works wonders. 
The last race I ran in, I devoted every other mile, 3 out of 6 miles, to either leaning on the Lord to help me make it through the race, or praying for those around me also running. Early on,  I was really asking God to help me find the will power not to stop, but by the 2nd mile spent with Him I was free to pray. Some of the people I prayed for were people running to lose weight, some were running to spend time with family, and others were running to support a cause like breast cancer. The awesome part about praying for these people was that even though they have no idea I was supporting them, they all had people supporting them on the side lines.
The last sentence I just wrote is one of my all time favoring things about the sport of running. Every race I attend there are always people on the sides supporting their loved ones and others, even if they don't know them. It doesn't matter if I am at a track or cross country meet, a marathon, or even a 5k; there are always people rooting you on. The sense of community that running provides is absolutely amazing! Everywhere I have been, people cheer for you even if they don't know you or why you are there; it is great! It is also amazing to see runners as they accomplish their goals and celebrate with other runners, friends, and family. Seeing someone who has just crossed a finish line with their family, or who finished their last goal in their journey to losing 50 pounds, or even someone who is a seasoned runner and just got their personal record time is a great feeling. Even if you can tell someone is in pain, they also always have this great since of joy and pride about them. Everyone at running events just seems so full of love and proud of everyone around them whether they finished first, last, or somewhere in between. What matters is that they did it!
So, not only is running healthy, but it can deepen relationships within yourself, with your Maker, and with others. Last, and certainly not least, running seems to provide this great since of sportsmanship, community, and love that I have never seen exuded in any other sport. It is simply amazing, and it reminds me how God meant for humans to interact.

0 comments:

Post a Comment



Passionately Obsessed


 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved